This very rural, woody, hilly and remote village indeed borders the province of Hainaut and was part of the Walloon province until 1963. But the name ‘twin village’ has nothing to do with its language status. It simply refers to the fact that Everbeek is made up of two residential areas, Opper-Everbeek and Neder-Everbeek.
Neder-Everbeek, the lower area, is the original village centre. It expanded hugely in the nineteenth century and in 1888 the inhabitants built their own church. Today it is the perfect place for those who are looking for unspoilt scenery and silence. Small country roads, winding footpaths and rippling brooks criss-cross the undulating countryside. Because he inhabitants of the village did not want to belong to either Flanders or Wallonia, no industrial activity was developed, which of course at present is an asset.
Saint Mary’s Church, located in the lower part, was built in 1719 and became a listed building in 1959. This late baroque church has three naves and contains a number of remarkable pieces of art, like the huge late Gothic life-sized sculpture of Christ carrying the cross, made in 1500.
Saint Joseph’s Church, a neo Gothic church, was built by the inhabitants of the upper part, who wanted their own church to celebrate Mass daily. It was completed in 1873 and has three naves.
Koroot Chapel dates back to 1632 and is located at the crossroads of Kloosterstraat and the road to Lessen. Although only the nave and the west wall have been preserved, this former chapel is also a listed building. The French authorities were less respectful when they confiscated the chapel in 1793 and converted it into a farm.
Trimpont Valley. It could easily be argued that the word ‘picturesque’ was invented to describe this valley. The name ‘Trimpont’ is a corruption of ‘Thiripont’ or ‘Tyripont’, indicating ‘Tierinpont’.
Thiripont is the oldest known attestation of the name and dates back to 1228. It refers to the present place name ‘Trimpont’. The attestation of ‘Tyripont’ dates back to 1366 and refers to the family name of the person who lived there. The present valley lookslike an extension of Brakelbos, which constituted a woody area referred to in old chronicles as ‘the wood without end and without mercy’. An old cross, grown in the knot of an oak tree, is a remarkable element in this valley.
Kapellekouter Mill. The letter written by Jozef II of Austria in 1788, granting permission to Jan-Baptiste Stevens to build a mill on the site, is still on display at the mill museum in Wachtebeke. At present the brick body is the only part of the original mill that is left, hidden behind poplars and accessible only through a small path at Hemelrijk.